Thursday, March 31, 2016

Layered Birthday Card with Tutorial

Hello friends!
I have a layered Mixed Media card to share today which is based on this month’s PPS color palette challenge. We have such beautiful, soft pastels for inspiration and I really enjoyed working with these colours! I have a step by step tutorial on how I created my card. Hope you enjoy seeing my creative process!




STEP BY STEP TUTORIAL

 Step 1 – I started out by selecting two different designs of papers from the Graphic 45 Mon Amour collection for my card base. This collection has some of the most beautiful papers and designs too.

Step 2 – I created some texture for my background using a custom-made texture paste I made using Gesso and the Prima Marketing Art Basics- Texture Powder in White which is something that Finnabair has recently launched. You can mix this powder with any of your gel mediums, acrylic paints or gesso like I did, to create your own texture paste. This gives a very nice smooth finish to your projects and adds some really interesting texture too! To add some colour to this paste, I added a little amount of the Prima Marketing Art Ingredients Mica Powder in blue and applied it using a palette knife and the Tim Holtz Lace Stencil.

Step 3 – Next I used the Sizzix Layering Heart Medallions die and cut out around 4-5 hearts like shown below and I layered them one upon the other to create a dimensional piece.


Step 4 – Then I tore a pink pattern paper from the Graphic 45 Mon Amour collection and added it to my card base to give my card a shabby look.

Step 5 – I then distressed the edges of my card base as well as the torn shabby piece using two different shades of Distress inks – Vintage Photo & Victorian Velvet.


Step 6 – finally I started arranging all my pieces together. I also applied the custom-made texture paste that I created on a MDF piece and I really loved the results it gave! I have used it on the centre MDF piece of the heart.


Step 7 – To create my floral arrangement, I started with placing the gorgeous flowers from the Prima Marketing – Tales of You & Me collection – Love Letters.


Step 8 To create the filler flowers for my floral arrangement, I took some white mulberry flowers and colored them using the Prima Marketing Art Ingredients Mica Powder along with a tiny bit of Gesso and water. This gives such a beautiful shine in real life! I colored some blue and pink flowers using these mica powders.


Step 9 – I further made some tiny florets by punching out hydrangea flowers using the Martha Stewart 3 in 1 Hydrangea Punch and added some creme pollens to the centres of each of them. I gave the petals a bit of curve before adding them to my card.


Step 10 – Here’s a look at the flowers.


Step 11 – And here’s the finished card complete with all the embellishments and a stamped sentiment from the Altenew – Label Love set.


I'm entering this card in the More than Words- Mini Challenge this month.

I hope you liked seeing my today’s card and tutorial. If you have any queries, please feel free to ask them below in the comments section. I look forward to hearing your views.


10 comments:

  1. Such a stunning creation! Love the softness of the pastels and the bold impression of flowers and textures. A wonderful creation, Hussena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful card maam.It has so many beautiful elements and details.the colours co ordinate beautifully too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this is absolutely stunning!! I love the layers and the design!! It's so gorgeous!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful Hussena, and the tutorial is terrific. I enjoyed seeing how the card came to be. Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, love the colors and enjoyed seeing how you put it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous card and wonderful tutorial! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this card Hussena, classy and elegant!!! Brilliant tutorial too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely card Hussena..love the soft colors and elements coordination..Thanks for tutorial !!

    ReplyDelete